These triple chocolate chip cookies are wonderfully soft and chewy and don’t require any chilling! Perfect for last minute chocolate cravings!
In case you missed it, we discussed in depth last time how to get what you consider the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
So today I’ll get straight to the point and share with you my version of a perfect triple chocolate chip cookie!
How To Make Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies, Step-by-Step
Mix the dry ingredients
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside. If you notice clumps of cocoa powder or baking soda, you can sift the dry ingredients through a fine mesh sieve before adding them to the cookie dough.
Cream the butter and sugar
- Cream the butter and sugars (white and brown) on medium-low speed until combined, about 2 minutes. You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. I wouldn’t recommend doing it by hand like I did! I just had to use my glass bowl for the pictures and was worried the hand mixer would ruin it!
- Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract
- Beat in the egg yolk, whole egg and vanilla extract, mixing well between each addition.
Add the flour mixture
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix briefly on low speed. I mix with a spatula a little before turning the mixer on so I don’t get flour everywhere!
- Add the remaining flour and mix again. Stop just before the flour has been fully incorporated, to avoid overmixing.
Fold in the chocolate chips/chunks
- Continue mixing with a spatula then fold in the chocolate chips/chunks. Don’t overmix or your cookies will be tough. Mix just until combined. Optional: Save a few chocolate chips so you can place them on the surface of the cookies just before baking them.
Portion the cookie dough
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take out about 45 g (1.6 oz.) of dough per cookie (using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop) and drop onto the baking sheet. Be sure to leave some space between the cookies, about 7.5 cm (3 inches). It’s best to stagger the cookies, to make sure they don’t stick to each other at all.
- Optional: Press a few chocolate chips/chunks on top of the cookie balls before baking, if desired.
Bake the triple chocolate chip cookies
- Bake on the middle shelf of a preheated oven for about 11 minutes, or until the edges have set but the center is still soft. For very soft cookies, I like to remove the cookies soon after they’ve reached an internal temperature of about 74°C (165°F), which is considered a safe egg temperature. I check by inserting a digital thermometer in the center of the cookie, without touching the baking sheet.
- Let the cookies cool down a little on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack. The cookies will be very soft and fragile when you take them out of the oven. They will firm up as they cool down. How long should you wait before transferring them to the wire rack? It will depend on how much you baked them. If you underbaked them, you might need to wait 4-5 minutes before you can pick them up without breaking them. If you overbaked them, it’s best to transfer them immediately (using a spatula) so they don’t end up too dry.
And that’s it! These cookies are really easy to make and don’t require chilling. But most importantly, they taste amazing!